South Coast of Salerno,
Lago Trasimeno street
Salerno - Italy
Ph. +39 089 203 004
Fax.+39 089 203 458
» Click and headd your phone number, (mobile phone included). We will call you back right away!!!
Maiori is situated at the outlet of the Reginna Maior torrent, from which it derives its name. Unfortunately the torrent is also a part of the town's history for other reasons: it has often ruined the country with disastrous floods, as in 1910 and above all in 1954.
This latter catastrophe destroyed almost all the inhabited centre and it is ,for this reason that Maiori, the only one among Amalfi coast's towns, presents itself to visitors' eyes with numerous modern buildings.
From the historical point of view Maiori was a faithful ally of the Amalfi Republic for many years and for this reason it was fiercely attacked and sacked in many occasione. The last time was in 1268 by the fleets of Pisa, a very fìerce enemy of Amalfi.
So a slow decline began and it worsened due to a plague in 1656 that reduced the population to a few hundred inhabitants.
However, with the passing of time, thanks to the fertility of the area that in this part of the Coast is less rough and rocky than elsewhere, the town recovered a certain welfare so that today it is one of better-equipped tourist and bathing centres. Nevertheless the town has preserved precious architectonic jewels of great tourist interest that without doubt deserve a visit.
Besides tbc Abbey of Santa Maria de' Olearia, the only Benedectine monument of the Coast that has remained practically intact up to our times, wc must remember tbc Castle, the Tower called "delle Formicole" and the church of S. Maria al mare.
The Mezzacapo Castle also called Miramare or S. Nicola, was built in tbc 15th century on tbc rocky buttress of Ponticchio hill. Its gardens, of a subsequent period, hide caves and rocky gorges with subterranean rivers, cleverly integrated with lanes surrounded by rose-beds.
Today the Tower of Formicole, built in 1590, is used as a restaurant and discobar by whose name (Torre Normanna) it is generally known.
In tbc neighbourhood a source of sulphureous and drinkable water is also accessible from tbc sea. The Church of S. Maria a Mare, with a splendid majolica dome, was restored many times respecting the original nucleus dated at the 11 th century.
The Baroque front is of remarkable interest with three portals of a subsequent period (tbc 18th century). Inside there are rich artistic treasures among which wc point out the lacunar cciling , built by Alessandro Fulco in tbc 16th cent,ury and the wooden statue named "La Madonna col Bambino" (Madonna with Baby). In the sacristy numerous small objects of art are also conserved. From the landscape point of view, Capo d'Orso, extraordinary rocky promontory on the sea, is part of the Municipality of Maiori. It deserves a walk both by sea and by land.