Litoranea di Pontecagnano Salerno (Italy)
Tel: +39 089 203004 Fax: +39 089 203458
Amalfi Coast, Positano, Sorrento, Naples, Pompeii, Paestum, Capri, Ischia, Salerno, Ravello, Herculaneum, Mt. Vesuvius, Maiori, Minori, Vietri sul Mare, Furore
The churches of Capri
Church of S.
Stefano - Capri
It was rebuilt in the 17th century on the remains of a church of the same name.
The original design - three naves with a cupola at the intersection of the wings with small cupolas atop the side naves - was reinterpreted and completed using a free baroque style, particularly in the roofing, where the traditional lapillus technique was used.
Of particular interest are: the main altar with a multi-colored floor made from marble in-lays rebuilt with pieces from the Villa Jovis, and a wood painting in the Chapel of the Rosary from the late 16th century that depicts the Madonna and child together with Saints Michael and Anthony of Padua. According to legend, the picture was thrown by pirates from a cliff yet miraculously found back in its proper place.
Church of S. Anna - Capri
The basilica-like structure dates back to the 13th century while the facade is from the 1600's. The interior consists of three short naves crossed by arches with raised curves that sit on fragments of columns taken from Roman ruins of the island. The Byzantine-style apses house of 14th and 15th century frescoes.
Church of S. Costanzo - Capri
The church was built between the 10th and 11th centuries on the foundation of an older basilica. Despite the expansions and restorations over the centuries, the original floor plan has been preserved.
The original columns, some made of ancient yellow and "cipollino" marble, were taken from the nearby villa, the Palace by the Sea. Four columns were later moved to the chapel at the royal palace in Caserta and replaced with granite columns.
The church holds the remains of St. Costanzo, Patriarch of Constantinople, who became the patron saint of Capri for the miracles he performed to protect the people of the island during the many raids of the Sarecen pirates.
Church of S. Sofia - Anacapri
It was built in the middle ages but underwent a lengthy reconstruction in the early 1500's. The structure, with its lack of symmetry among the cupolas, appears to not have had an overall plan. The small altar inside is a wooden sculpture from the 15th-century Neapolitan school that depicts the Virgin with the dead Christ.
Church of S. Michele Arcangelo (or of the earthly Paradise)-Anacapri
The church is designed around a central lay-out with a cupola and a surrounding octagonal floor-plan that fans out into six niches with apses and baroque altars in painted wood. Built in 1719, the church houses an extraordinary tiled pavement that depicts the biblical scene of Adam and Eve being banished from the Earthly Paradise.
Church of S. Antonio - Anacapri
Sitting by the last step of the Phoenician staircase over the sea, the church of Sant'Antonio is built into the rock and provides a spectacular view.
Hermitage and Chapel of S. Maria in Cetrella - Anacapri
The small convent was built in the 14th century consists of a small church with cottages, monastic cells and terraces. Decorated in the late-Gothic style, it remained uninhabited for quite a while. It is opened by volunteers from Anacapri every now and then.
Church of S. Maria of Costantinople - Anacapri
Anacapri's oldest parish, it was built in the 18th century, over an older church possibly from the 14th century. It is made up of a single nave below two crossings and holds a small pulpit. The facade stands at the far end of a garden and former cemetery.