Litoranea di Pontecagnano Salerno (Italy)
Tel: +39 089 203004 Fax: +39 089 203458
Amalfi Coast, Positano, Sorrento, Naples, Pompeii, Paestum, Capri, Ischia, Salerno, Ravello, Herculaneum, Mt. Vesuvius, Maiori, Minori, Vietri sul Mare, Furore
The Chartusian monastery was founded between 1363 and 1375 by will of Count Giacomo Arcucci, gentleman of Capri and counsealor to the Angevin Queen of Naples Joanna I: the reason for this will was a votive offering to get a male child and heir. Chartusian monks, well-liked by the Angevins first and Aragon kings later, expanded and increased their properties and wealthes, having a great influence upon the island life. When coming Spaniards, it begun a decadence period for the island, even for the monastery. The well-defended position didn't succeed to escape the raids by Saracens: most of all they were recalled the fire and the pillage done by pirate Dragut and MustafÓ PasciÓ, after which the monks were obliged to make large repairs and to build a new defence tower. Under Napoleon Age, in 1808, after aboliton of monastic orders, monastery was closed and monks dispersed. For about a century it was forsaken, sometimes used to minimal functions (storage, jail) which had bad influence upon the state of the building. In 1920, following new interest sprung up among artists and highbrows for island of Capri, monastery received several historical restorations menaged by Chierici. Other damages were done during Second World War and first post-war years. In the Fifties and Sixties, for building development, the Chartreuse lost its lonely and outstanding position in the middle of the plain where it was builted on. Today, after some other restorations, into the Chartusian are placed: a secondary school (about Classical studies), the municipal library and a museum with paintings and archaeological findings, and also a space for travelling exposures. Recently it was open the little garden and belvedere behind the monastery.
According to the Roman writer Tacitus, at Tragara was built one of 12 Roman imperial villas in Capri, connected to the landing point of Tragara's port lying below, in the small sheltered cove behind the Faraglioni. For its panoramic and climatic position it was probably enjoyed as a winter residence. During the hot seasons the Romans lived in villas on northern side, exposed to fresh summer breezes. In 1875 some ruins of this villa were still visible, as related by Spanish diplomat E.CastelÓr in memoirs of his journeys. Today remains nothing from this magnificent villa, except for a marble roofing now situated into the Rosary chapel at St. Stephen's church, aside the Piazzetta (Capri's main square).