Hotel Olimpico
Litoranea di Pontecagnano Salerno (Italy)

info@hotelolimpico.it

Tel: +39 089 203004  Fax: +39 089 203458

 

 

 

Naples: Art, History, Culture, Cuisine...

 Amalfi Coast, Positano, Sorrento, Naples, Pompeii, Paestum, Capri, Ischia, Salerno, Ravello, Herculaneum, Mt. Vesuvius, Maiori, Minori, Vietri sul Mare, Furore

 

 

Church of Santi Filippo e Giacomo

Founded in 1593 by the Silk Guild, the church replaced an older structure of the same name, which had become too small for the needs of the congregation, who used it as an academy for the education of daughters of needy silk workers. The church's present appearance dates form its reconstruction in 1723. Later, under the supervision of Gennaro Papa, the rich decoration of the stuccoes, marble, and paintings was undertaken. At the same time the facade was restructured, with the statue by Giuseppe Sanmartino (Santi Filippo e S. Giacomo) below, and those of Giuseppe Picano (Religion and Faith) above. The church consists of one nave with four chapels on each side. The majolica floor, attributed to Donato Massa, is decorated with a geometrical design at the centre of which there is the emblem of the Silk Guild. The frescoes in the vault and on the walls (1757-1759) are by Jacopo Cestaro. The two rococo'stoups (1758-59) were sculpted by Giacomo Massotti. (Francesca Del Vecchio)