Hotel Olimpico
Litoranea di Pontecagnano Salerno (Italy)

Tel: +39 089 203004  Fax: +39 089 203458




Naples: Art, History, Culture, Cuisine...

 Amalfi Coast, Positano, Sorrento, Naples, Pompeii, Paestum, Capri, Ischia, Salerno, Ravello, Herculaneum, Mt. Vesuvius, Maiori, Minori, Vietri sul Mare, Furore



San Giorgio Maggiore

 Originally dedicated to Saint Severus (the saint's remains were brought here in the ninth century), it was only in a later period that the church acquired its current name, which had previously applied only to a single chapel within it devoted to Saint George. In 1640, a fire completely destroyed the church, and its reconstruction was entrusted to Cosimo Fanzago. His original project, which envisaged the construction of two churches, could not be realized because of obstacles arising from revolution and plague. In the plan finally implemented, the church's orientation was reversed. Further work was done on the church by Arcangelo Guglielmelli after the earthquake of 1694. The opening of Via Duomo required knocking down the right-hand wing of the church, its facade, and its campanile. Consequently, the current interior arrangement is somewhat anomalous, with a floorplan consisting of a single nave and chapels only on the left side. There are remains of the apse of the ancient paleochristian basilica in the entrance of the new church, with Corinthian columns that originally belonged to Roman buildings. In the interior are paintings by Francesco Peresi (1713) and Alessio D'Elia (1757). (Francesca Del Vecchio)